Sudeley Castle

near Winchcombe, Gloucestershire - Dent family


"Sir Raphe Boteler, created Baron of Sudeley, and some time Governor of Calais, built the castle from the spoils, it is said, he had acquired in the wars with France. He, having a strong attachment to the Lancastrian interest, in order to avert worse consequences, found himself compelled to sell the manor and princely mansion to King Edward IV.

Soon afterwards, Sudeley Castle was granted to Richard, Duke of Gloucester, who exchanged it with the crown for Richmond Castle in Yorkshire. In the reign of Henry VII. it was bestowed on Jasper, Duke of Bedford, and then, in the reign of Edward VI. it was granted with the manor to Sir Thomas Seymour, who was then made Baron Seymour of Sudeley, and appointed Lord High Admiral. He shortly afterwards married the Dowager Queen Catherine (Parr), and, while at Sudbury, the Queen had under her charge the innocent and memorable Lady Jane Grey, whose untimely and sad fate need not be recorded here.

In the year 1837, John Dent and William Dent, of the city of Worcester, who had previously purchased the greater part of the Sudeley estates, succeeded in treating with the then owner, Duke of Buckingham, for the castle and the remainder, and promptly commenced the work of reparation."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage