Galloway House

near Wigtown, Wigtownshire - Earl of Galloway


Galloway House is beautifully istuated. On the east side, within three hundred yards of the terrace, is Wigtown Bay, with the Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire and its hilly coast on the opposite side, at a distance of ten miles, ending in the point where stands the Ross Lighthouse.

On the south side is a small creek within the pleasure grounds, termed Cruggleton, or Rigg Bay, to which there is a broad gravel walk, running direct from the terrace, and parallel with this walk overlooked by the windows on the south side of the house, is a sunk Italian flower-garden.

On the north side are the stables, and four hundred yards beyond, one of the Park Gates, termed the Harbour Lodge, opens upon the village and sea-port of Garliestown.

It would be more correct to say of this ancient and long ennobled family, that the Royal line of Scotland was of it, than that, as has been said, it is of the Royal blood of that kingdom.

Alexander, sixth Lord High Steward (in 1263) of Scotland - whence the family name of Stewart - died in 1283.
Sir Alexander Stewart, a decoted adherent of King Charles the First, elevated to the Peerage in 1607 as Baron of Garlies, and advanced to the Earldom of Galloway in 1623.

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage