Appleby Castle

near Appleby, Westmoreland - Lord Hothfield


"This edifice is generally believed to have been founded previous to the Norman Conquest, but was in all probability rebuilt shortly subsequent to that period, and again progressively re-edified by successive noble proprietors.

The castle was for a considerable period the residence of the Clifford family; and was fortified for the king in 1641, by Lady Anne Clifford, who gave the government of it to her neighbour, Sir Philip Musgrave, and he held it out till after the battle of Marston Moor, when he was obliged to surrender it to the parliamentarians.

Lady Ann's daughter, Margaret, carried Appleby to the Tuftons having married John, second Earl of Thanet. The very ancient family of Tufton, Earls of Thanet, became extinct in the person of Henry Tufton, eleventh Baron, when the estate came by will to Sir Richard Tufton. His son, Sir Henry Jaques Tufton was created Lord Hothfield in 1881."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage