Donington Castle

near Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire - Baron Donington


"The manor of Donington, which occupies the site of what in the Domesday Book is called 'a great wood of oak,' was anciently held by Thomas Plantagenet, Earl of Lancaster, Leicester and Derby, and was bought in 1594 by George, Earl of Huntingdon, who pulled down the old castle and built a new residence.

The park was held by lease from the Crown by William, Lord Hastings, and continued to be held by his descendants until the reign of Elizabeth, when it was purchased from the Sovereign. At the death of the last Lord Hastings, in 1789, Francis, Earl of Moira inherited the titles and was subsequently created Marquis of Hastings.

This nobleman built the present house in 1793, incorporating with it the walls of the older one, which waas rendered interestingly as having been dwelt in by the saintly Selina, Countess of Huntingdon, the patroness of Wesley and Whitfield.

Charles Frederick Clifton married Lady Edith Rawdon-Hastings in 1853, and assumed the name and arms of Abney-Hastings. On the death of her brother, the fourth Marquis of Hastings, Lady Edith interited the Baronies of Hungerford and Hastings, among others, whilst Charles Frederick was created Baron Donington in 1880."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage