Howick Hall

near Alnwick, Northumberland - Earl Grey


"Howick Hall is very pleasnatly situated by the Northumbrian coast, on the bank of a brook t hat winds round the lawn in front.

The old Tower of Howick, mentioned by Leland, still remains. The present house was built towards the close of the eighteenth century.

The church, and a free school for the children of the tenantry of the estate, were built by one of the former owners, Sir Henry Grey, Baronet, who also endowed the latter with ten pounds per annum, increased afterwards by Mrs Magdalen Grey with a rent-charge of thirteen pounds a year.

The first recorded of the family was Sir John Grey, Knight, of Berwick, in 1372. His grandson, Sir Thomas Grey, married Alice, the daughter of Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmoreland.

Sir Charles Grey, born 1729, was elevated to the Peerage in 1801 by the title of Baron Grey de Howick. He was further advanced to the dignity of an Earldom in 1806, as Viscount Howick and Earl Grey."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage