Milton Abbey

near Blandford, Dorsetshire - Baron Hambro


"In the reign of Henry the Eighth, when the monasteries were dissolved, Milton Abbas, as the demesne was then called, was granted to John Tregonwell in consideration of the sum of 1,000 and the relinquishment of a pension of 40 a year, to be held in chief by a knight's service, as the tenth part of a knight's fee.

The last of that family, also named John, left a daughter, Mary, who married first Francis Luttrell and secondly, after his decease, Sir Jacob Bancks, a native of Sweden. At the death of their son, without a will, the property was contested by several parties, before a compromise was found and the estate became the possession of a Mr Strachan, who then sold it, in 1752, to Joseph Damer.

Damer built the present mansion in 1771, and was created Baron Milton and Earl of Dorchester in 1792. His descendant, Lord Portarlington, subsequently sold the property to Baron Hambro, a Danish nobleman."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage