Gopsall Hall

near Twycross, Leicestershire - Lord Howe


"This well-known and magnificent seat is acknowledged to be one of the chief ornaments of the county of Leicester, in which it is situated.

It is about three miles north-west of Market Bosworth, and stands in a park of nearly six hundred acres. It was originally built by Charles Jennens in the year 1758, at a cost of 100,000 when completed.

An intelligent tourist, T. R. Potter, Esq., gives the following account of this place:
'Every step you take at Gopsal shows that the arts have been not only fostered but cultivated here. Every walk in the neighbouring parishes, portions of this splendid domain, shows some church, bede-house or school, erected and supported by the munificence of the Curzons, while the numerous tenantry and peasantry on the estates show, both by their appearance and their conduct, how much their welfare is the object of their landlord's solicitude.'

Mr Jennes died in the year 1773, and devised the estate to the Honourable Penn Assheton Curzon, his grandnephew, who wedded Lady Sophia Charlotte Howe, who became at the decease of her father, Baroness Howe, and so brought that title into the family of Curzon.

The family of Lord Howe derives in the male line from Giraline de Curzon, who, at the time of the Conquest, held the manor of Locking in Berkshire and of Fishead in Oxfordshire."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage