Lowther Castle

near Clifton, Westmoreland - Earl of Lonsdale


"The castle of Lowther, which gives its name to the family of Lowther, derives its own from the river Lowther, or Louder, by which it is watered. Lowther Hall of the older date was pulled down in 1685, and rebuilt by John, first Viscount Lowther. It was burnt down in 1720, and built again in 1808, the necessary materials of stone and timber having been collected for the purpose previously by the first Earl Lowther.

The family of Lord Lonsdale descends more immediately from Sir Richard Lowther, living in the reign of Elizabeth, but its more remote ancestry is lost in the mists of antiquity."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage