Broughton Castle

near Banbury, Oxfordshire - Lord Saye and Sele


"Broughton Castle, three miles from Banbury, the sear of Lord Saye and Sele, is built of the substantial yellow stone of the country. The house and grounds are enclosed by a remarkably wide moat, the only entrance being a bridge and gateway on the south side.

Built by the De Broughtons in Edward the First's reigh, the estate was purchased by William of Wykeham in 1377, whose eventual heiress, Margarette, intermarried with Lord Saye and Sele who fell at the Battle of Barnet in 1471.

King James the First of England honoured Lord Saye and Sele by a visit to the castle in 1604, and the sermon preached by His Majesty's Chaplain, Thomas Playgere, is in print, and speaks of the then abundant harvest.

Lord Saye and Sele, twentieth in descent from Geoffrey, Lord Saye, one of the barons who compelled King John to grant the Great Charter, succeeded as thiirteenth Baron March in 1847 and as a Clergyman of the Church of England became Archdeacon of Hereford."

Click to enlarge

Window Mounted Window Mounted and Framed

Window mounted (UK mainland)34.95
Window mounted (Europe)37.95
Window mounted (Rest of the World)39.95
Window mounted & framed (UK mainland only)55.95
Window mounted & framed (Europe)62.95
Window mounted & framed (Rest of the World)74.95



Return to Homepage